AT Spotlight: Katelyn Ward // AT on a Mission




Name: Katelyn Ward

Nickname: Katelyn 


Alma Mater: UNC Greensboro


Most Important Thing in Your Bag? Hand sanitizer!!!


Quote/Lyric/Line that sums up Athletic Training For You: Every day I’m hustlin’


What's your current gig? COVID-19 Testing and Vaccinating at Bergen New Bridge Medical Center


What's a Day in the life like? Wake up, drive to work, test/vaccinate anywhere from 10-500 people per day. Go home, walk my dog, sleep. Repeat 5-6 days a week for the past 6 months.


What is the Weirdest / Wildest / Most Interesting / Out there AT job you've ever worked? I was hired to supervise Covid-19 testing sites, then NJ passed a bill to allow ATs to test and vaccinate, so I was thrown into PPE gowns, N95s, and gloves, and have completely dived into playing a role as a frontline worker in the pandemic ever since. I work long hours at the hospital and do outreach at college campuses, community centers, and most recently a food truck festival!

What has been the biggest change in the year of the pandemic?

I was a physician extender at the start of the pandemic and was furloughed because of the office's downsizing... twice. I moved across the country then moved back for this job with the hospital. Though it’s been a rough time in healthcare, especially athletic training, it’s been very fulfilling to be able to help the community in this role.


Share your best Moment / Story / Anecdote as an AT:

I vaccinated a World War II veteran. 


When you're not on a sideline, where can we find you?

Hiking with my dog, laying out on the beach, trying new breweries, or in jiu jitsu class.

Comments

Popular Posts